Suffolk GP Federation is a not-for-profit community interest organisation owned by 57 GP practices covering 650,000 patients. Members remain independent organisations, whilst working together to develop local primary care.
The Federation has a turnover of approximately £23m and employs over 600 members of staff. It was established with a one-off financial contribution from practices and since its formation has funded all of its activities without any contribution from its members.
We were formed to:
- Help GP practices work together in an open, democratic and transparent way
- Address issues which can be solved through collaboration (rather than by individual practices)
- Provide management, skills and expertise that an individual practice would find difficult to finance
We have two main areas of activity:
1. Supporting general practice
- Supporting complex service changes through collaboration between groups of practices
- Workforce development including GP recruitment and retention, support for salaried and locum GPs, practice managers, nurses, administration staff and other healthcare professionals
- Delivering services where it is sensible for one organisation to take a lead
2. Patient services
Suffolk GP Federation manages a portfolio of services including:
- Urgent Care – Suffolk OOHs, GP+ (appointments in the evening, at weekends and Bank Holidays), Emergency Department Streaming and the Minor Injuries Clinic in Felixstowe
- Community services including ultrasound, cardiology, podiatry, bladder and bowel, stoma and North East Essex Diabetes Service
- Primary care – Directly managing practices including Christmas Maltings and Clements Practice in Haverhill and Kirkley Mill Surgery in Lowestoft.
- Mental health specialist nursing service
To see our CQC Certificate of Registration, click here.