Suffolk GP Federation is dedicated to improving the career opportunities of doctors and other healthcare professionals working in general practice.
Like elsewhere in the UK, the county faces many challenges. In order to support recruitment Suffolk GP Federation is:
- Developing a publicity campaign to promote the benefits of Suffolk
- Offering a training package for practices wanting to recruit new GPs
- Hosting and updating a ‘one-stop’ web page to promote Suffolk and advertise current vacancies
- Raising the profile of Suffolk primary care, for example by being featured in healthcare journals, trade magazines and local and regional press
We are also working hard to develop our existing workforce. Following feedback from focus groups we have developed a comprehensive suite of opportunities, including:
- Training programmes for salaried GPs wanting to become partners or become involved with commissioning or other projects
- Implementing Royal College of General Practitioners Intensive First 10 (for GPs having breaks for children to keep them engaged in the workforce)
- Ongoing support for a local sessional GP group, with monthly educational input including leadership development, commissioning and clinical development
- A central database of opportunities to expand workforce skills and social networking opportunities
- A mentoring and coaching scheme.